Wee Birdy’s Top 12 Sandals
When you’re in the midst of summer heatwave (I’m talking about my northern hemisphere readers here), the most practical and on-trend option for footwear is a sensible leather sandal.
One step up in the style stakes from Havianas (er, flip flops), a good flat leather sandal will see you through many a fashion-meets-heatwave dilemma. This season, old-school sandals and fugly orthopaedic shoes are enjoying something of a mini renaissance, taking their wearers from day to night. And I haven’t stopped smiling.
It’s interesting watching trends emerge from the ‘other’ side of the world (and from the depths of a chilly winter). This past summer in Sydney, I couldn’t walk a block without spotting a veritable rainbow of bright and shiny Salt Water sandals. In fact, I would go so far as to say that Salt Waters were a Summer 2012/13 wardrobe staple. This pleases me no end, as my arthritic toes can’t really handle anything steeper than a five-degree slope.
Tan and coloured leather sandals handcrafted in the traditional Greco-Roman style are also having a moment in fashion right now, with the likes of Net-a-Porter and ShopBop stocking a range of K. Jacques sandals. (This is something I don’t think I’ll ever fully appreciate, after trekking through le Marais in Paris to find the cult-ish K. Jacques store back in 2007. And then blogging about it.)
But if you’re looking for something a bit friendlier on the wallet, you might like to head to Etsy and my secret-squirrel shops where you’ll find a range of traditional hand-crafted sandals for as low as £8.50 (GO!). And then a wee birdy told me about Greek Sandals, where you can pick up a pair of traditional Mediterranean-style sandals priced for around €30.
Meanwhile, in London, The Sandal and the Craftsman (see above) has been popping up in locations around town, for one-one-on appointments with his gorgeous range of hand-stitched flat sandals inspired by the Italian tradition. Available in a range of gorgeous colours, this is one craftsman to keep an eye on.
Here are my top 12 sandals for summer:
1. Salt Water sandals in yellow, US$39.99 from Mod Cloth.
2. Marais USA espadrille wedges, now US$88 from ShopBop (available in other colours).
3. Marais USA gladiator sandals, US$130 (available in other colours).
4. K. Jacques Flavia crisscross sandals, US$248 from ShopBop.
5. CoSTUME NATIONAL Fiore Flat Sandals, reduced to $178.50 in orange.
6. A.P.C. flat sandals, US $310 from ShopBop.
7. Red women’s leather sandal, £88.36 from Einat and Stephan Kedmi’s Etsy shop.
8. Roman Greek leather sandals in black, £8.50 by Ananias Sandals’ Etsy Shop.
9. Thebes Sandal Natural Color sandals, €30 from Greek Sandals.
10. Ancient Greek Sandals Clio sandals, US$185 by ShopBop
11. Carvela Kloud studded flat sandals, £65 from Selfridges.
12. Loeffler Randall Dree woven sandals, now US$70 in cobalt/mint (other colours available).