If there’s one trend that’s really taken hold this year, it’s neon. From crafty hand-woven baskets to to glossy Comme Des Garçons wallets, fluoro is the way to go. Here are my top picks for the nicest (and most definitely) brightest Christmas presents.
1. Eva straw weave clutch, AU$179 from Gorman.
2. Little leather locket by Jen Booth, AU$78 from Follow Store.
3. ‘Fluro Tower’ acrylic painting, AU$750 from Rachel Castle.
4. Woven Bead Planter (Mexican), AU $120 from Peaches and Keen.
5. Adjustable wood and stoneware vase, EUR145 from Adonde.
6. Crepe chain neon necklace, US$78 from Anthropologie.
1. Knitted collar in neon yellow and grey cotton, EUR €29.90 from The Knit Kid’s Etsy shop.
2. ‘Criss Cross Fluro Sun’ felt on Belgian flax linen artwork, AU$380 from Castle.
3. Neon yellow pod with Velutina air plant, US$10 from Bird And Feather Co.’s Etsy shop.
4. Modern neon hardwood salad bowl, US$45 from Nicole Porter Design.
5. Lidded blue box EUR €56 from Foldoys.
6. Comme Des Garçons orange fluorescent zip-around wallet, £130 from Liberty.
1. Crayon Chick crochet bowls, small $30; large $32 from Follow Store.
2. K. Jacques for Opening Ceremony patent sandal, US$172 from Opening Ceremony.
3. Marc by Marc Jacobs green and blue heart print iPhone Case, £30 from Liberty.
4. Melting Ice-Cream Tote by Jess Wright, AU $160 from Harvest Workroom by Harvest Textiles.
5. Large neon chevron cushion by Bob Window, AU$90 from Follow Store.
6. Bobbi Brown Neon & Nude Sheer lip gloss, £17 from Selfridges.
So much choice, so little time! I’m not quite sure how it happened but suddenly the countdown is on for Christmas and everyone is madly ticking off their to-do lists. If you’re looking for some festive new stockings, look no further. I’ve scoured the best online designers and retailers for the most beautiful Christmas stockings, and edited it down to my Top 20.
Here they are:
1. Fox Christmas Stocking in yellow by Allenbrite Studio’s Etsy shop, US$25.
2. Freckle Christmas stocking by Little Lamb in red, AU$49 from Lark.
3. Scandi Christmas Stocking by birdyhome, US$22.59 from Not on the High Street.
4. Embroidered linen mix Christmas stocking , AU$69.95 from David Jones.
5. Cath Kidston Christmas deer stocking, £14 from John Lewis.
6. Ball cuff stocking, AU$75 from Papier D’Amour.
7. Petal Christmas stocking by Little Lamb in Turquoise, AU$49 from Lark.
8. Red ticking personalised stocking, AU$60 from Papier D’Amour.
9. Freckle Christmas stocking by Little Lamb in grey, AU$49 from Lark.
10. Marimekko Raanu Christmas Stocking, AU$59 from Funkis.
11. Gisela Graham red Santa Christmas stocking, £10.95 from Liberty.
12. Cody Foster woven striped Christmas stocking, £59.95 from Selfridges.
13. Gisela Graham Gingerbread Man stocking, £10.95 from Liberty.
14. Circus-inspired Christmas stocking by Rocket and Bear, $19.63 from Not on the High Street.
15. Red wool star stocking, £59.95 from Liberty.
16. Karl Lagerfeld Christmas stocking, £200 from Selfridges.
17. Gisela Graham red satin embroidered stocking, £14.95 from Liberty.
18. Personalised Christmas stocking by Charlotte Cot Blankets, $64.64 from Not on the High Street.
19. Gisela Graham snowman and snowflake stocking, £10.95 from Liberty.
20. Retro Rudolph Christmas stocking in peacock blue, US$25 from Allenbrite Studio’s Etsy shop.
Click here for more nice Christmas stockings.
And click here for my edit of the 20 Best Crackers for 2012.
Look what I made! It’s a Hobbiton miniature garden – complete with Hobbits! I made this project for my brand new gig as editor over on Crafttuts+. Please come over and say hello if you love making stuff – I’ve pulled together an awesome team of contributors including Kitiya Palaskas, Lisa Tilse from The Red Thread and Cinti from My Poppet. They’re making some really cool stuff and the tutorials are high quality with lots of beautiful photography. And we’ve got some gorgeous Christmas tutorials lined up for the festive season.
We’ve been running a series of geek-themed craft at Crafttuts+, so I thought I’d get my get my Tolkien geek on to celebrate the world premiere of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in Wellington yesterday. I love miniature gardens and terrariums and I’ve always wanted to make a themed one, so this felt like the perfect opportunity.
In the tutorial, I take you through in step-by-step detail how to make each element for your Hobbiton miniature garden, including the teeny-tiny toadstools (hint: red nail varnish gives the most brilliant shine!). I will also show you how to plan and landscape your garden, and what plants are most suitable for your micro cosmos. Click here for my Crafttuts+ tutorial.
What do you think? Are you a Lord of the Rings fan? Do you like miniature gardens? Tell me in the comments below.
Photography by Lucas Boyd.
Do you have any little people to buy for this year? There are loads of mass-produced samey toys around for babies and kids, so why not consider getting something handmade? Here are my top picks for babies and kids from Etsy.
1. Morris little owl, US$40 from Wassupbrothers.
2. Organic colorful little worm teething toy, US$10 from BoutiqueBeauties.
3. The Owl & the Pussy Cat went to Sea Paper Craft, US$15 from Ellen Giggenbach.
4. Newborn and toddler girls’ dress, US$36 from April Scott.
5. Mario baby onuses set of three, US$42 from The Wishing Elephant.
6. Hippopotamus pillow, US$150 from Austin Plush.
7. Edie fawn print, US$14 from TinyFawn.
8. Boys shirt-little chef, US$55 from WildThingsDresses.
9. Chevron stripe sailboat, US$20 from Tweet Toys.
10. Fox felt mask for kids, EUR18.15 from Frida’s Tierchen.
11. 10 minifigure people crayons, US$2.80 from Posh Paper Creations.
12. Party bunting newborn dress, US$40 April Scott.
13. Peggy retro doll, made with original vintage fabrics, £35 from Alice Apple.
14. Baby white elephant mobile, made to order, US$109 from Patricija Garden.
15. Waldorf toy rainbow forest, US$24 from Applenamos.
16. Pretend felt veg box, £23 from Mummy Made It Me.
17. Balance birds, US$65 from Mama May I Handmade Learning Toys.
18. Hand-knitted children’s sweater, EUR67 from KuDum.
19. Crochet amigurumi rabbit toy, AU$30 from RosieOK.
Don’t miss that perfect present! Click here for my 2012 Etsy Christmas Gift Guide.
Have you got a little one to buy for this year? Anything take your fancy? Let me know in the comments below!
← Older posts
Here’s the final instalment in my Etsy Christmas Gift Guide for 2012. Hope you’ve found a gem of a gift for someone special, and you’ve enjoyed all of my favourite wee finds.
1. Ahoi Marie Schifferbecher Anker, EUR9.90 from Ahoi Marie.
2. Silk yellow neck scarf with lace pattern, CHF75 (with free worldwide shipping) from Zafran.
3. Plush woodblock elephant pillow. Available in customisable colours and made to order. US$16.50 from Laura Frisk.
4. Sushi print leggings, AU$70 from Uptightso.
5. ‘Double Rad’ Gocco print by Gemma Jones, US$29 from Paintergirl.
Don’t miss out on that perfect Christmas present! Click here for my entire series of posts for my 2012 Etsy Christmas Gift Guide.
Have you bought anything from Etsy for Christmas this year? Tell me about it in the comments below!